""

Thursday 23 August 2012

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding


Genre - Chick Lit
My Rating - 4 Stars
Published - 1st June 1999 by Penguin Books

Synopsis
Bridget Jones's Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement--a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult--and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic...


My Review
I got an email through from Amazon saying this book was deal of the day, and so picked it up for just a pound on my kindle. I must admit I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Of course, i've seen the movie, but after reading the book there didn't seem to be much similarity between the two. 

I rarely find myself laughing out loud at a book, but whilst reading this I must have been giggling away conspiratorially to myself as my boyfriend even asked me what was so funny. There's something about the quirky things Bridget does that every woman can relate to on some level. She's a walking contradiction, a woman who wants to be strong and independent yet at the same time is desperate to be loved. 


I must admit I was annoyed by her at first because it seemed almost like she was one of those awful women whose life is defined by the man she's dating. I guess in some ways she is, but she doesn't want to be. She's a unique spirit, and it was quite lovely to see a man fall for her because of all her imperfections rather than in spite of them. 


I'd wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who wants a bit of light relief. You can easily chomp through the pages in a day or two and it leaves you with a real feel-good vibe. Looking forward to reading the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment